Friday, May 25, 2007

Mother's Day Recap


Some women get flowers, some get candy or jewelry, but all told I think I got the best presents of all: a new purse from REI (really, could I have a purse from anywhere else?) and a hike up The Narrows in Zion National Park with Justin and all four kids. I had Aspen in the front carrier and two hiking poles--to ensure that neither of us fell in the Virgin River as we hiked through it. Justin had Ronan in the kid backpack and held onto Ilana on one side and Forester on the other. The next day his hands and forearms were so sore he could hardly grip anything, from hanging on to their little hands so tight. We almost lost Forester's hiking stick in the river at one point, but never lost a kid, so all was well; and a group was crossing the river downstream from us, saw the stick, and grabbed it for us.

For any that don't know, The Narrows is a slot canyon (though generally a pretty broad one, at least at the lower end, which is where we were hiking), but the "trail" is, for the most part, the Virgin River itself. The water was above our knees at its deepest (adult knees, which means waists for kids). The water was really cold, but it was over 90 degrees that day, so it felt great. It was gorgeous and fun and we had a great time.

It's such an interesting place, there's just something so strikingly odd and beautiful about so many people winding their way through the river. It is so quiet and full of light--off the red rock of the walls and flashing off the water all around you. In moving through your world in such a different way from the norm of everyday, even the norm of a good hike--not on it or next to it, but truly through it--you can't help but feel more connected to the spaces around you.

4 comments:

Gramma Seguine said...

Keep writing, Julie. I feel like I am there.

Lynn said...

This is why I have been begging you to blog, your prose touches on poetry. I can close my eyes and feel like I am there. What a mother's day! I got mom for mine though :)

Unknown said...

How fun. I knew you were in Southern Utah but didn't know you all went hiking. Can't wait until you are here in a week and you can hike here.

Jen S. said...

I'm glad you had a fun day!