Julie hasn't kept up with the blog in quite a while so I thought I would give it a shot. She says it's because she's busy but I don't know how that could be with only three jobs, multiple classes, writing a thesis, presenting at the Rocky Mountain Medieval and Renaissance Association Annual conference in Flagstaff Arizona, flying to Pennsylvania to interview for a PhD program, getting accepted to a couple of PhD programs, and being a wonderful wife and mother. On top of that, we've gone off-roading and camping in Capitol Reef, Arches, Zion's, Bryce, the Uintas, and visited my parents at their hotel in Northern Idaho.
Today Julie was published in the Daily Herald. Her article had a large banner on the front page (with a picture that I took) and was featured on almost the entire front page of the Life & Style section. There's a picture of Aspen and Ilana with a caption that says, "The Chapman family stands in the doorway of historic Morrell Cabin in Cathedral Valley." I bought ten copies; if you want I'll send you one.
I came across something the other day that I thought was hilarious and needed to be shared. Julie was looking into little inexpensive netbooks at the store the other day. To try out the small laptop she opened up a page in Google Documents and typed the following:
"Once upon a time there was a tiny, itty bitty computer, and it said, "come buy me and work with me and see how much fun and tiny I can be.” But the girl just wasn't sure if she liked the itty bitty, tiny computer. It was weird on her hands while typing, because her hands didn't quite fit. But that is okay, because that's the kind of thing you can get used to, after all.
"The tiny computer was awesome and did the main things she needed, and it was, after all, itty bitty and teeny tiny and that made it really easy and nice to haul around, in the company of books, during school. Because, after all, it was most important for the itty bitty computer to be comfortable with books as companions...it couldn't be any other way.
"Ubi ignes est!
"Hmmm, thought the girl, it is pretty small...and it is hard to say what that might mean, ultimately: good or bad."
She's creative, even when testing out an undersized keyboard. (And yes, it wound up being too small after all.)
5 comments:
Wow, after reading that description, Justin, of the summation of Julie's activities, all I could think of was ....."slacker"
Seriously, you guys have done a LOT. Really a TON.
I note that you have been fully supportive in all of this. That is a lot of work for you, too.
By the way, you're quite a good writer.
Wow Julie! You ARE amazing! I can't wait to hear where you guys go for your PhD program!! Please let us know. Justin, thanks for the update!!
Welcome Back!
Nice summation. It was fun to have the little folk visit for a week, thanks for sharing.
So good to hear from you! Excellent summary of the last six months of your family's awesomeness. Go Julie!
I'm not surprised that the computer ended up being too small - she's got to have something big enough to handle all that creativity.
Post a Comment