Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Polling Place Pandemonium?



With all the anticipation, all the excitement on both sides, even brief moments of questioning if it is worth it to vote in a state where my political color is definitely not the color my state will inevitably go, I left work early (determined to have a few hours for line-waiting before kids were out of school and preschool--NO ONE wants to listen to four kids bored in line for an hour or more), stopped at Arby's for a bottle of water and jalepeno poppers (guilty pleasure...) and tucked a copy of Marie de France's Breton Lais into my purse, all in anticipation of a LONG line at my polling location.

5 minutes.

Yep, if that. I walked in, signed my name, got my card, zipped through the touch-screen voting booth, returned my card and got a sticker to celebrate my participation in the electoral process. I came home and ate my jalepeno poppers on my couch with thick socks to fight off the chill of a rainy day.

Justin got up early, joined the queue at 6:45 for the doors to open at 7:00am and waited an hour.

I'm just curious, how was the experience for the rest of you? How long did it take, rain or shine?

6 comments:

Lynn said...

Mine was under 30 minutes. That's out of my house to back in; getting the kids into the car, then out, then back in, then out again. The 5 mile round trip, and the filling out of my form (2 sided). The kids had just enought time at the polling place to eat a bag of M&M's (from Halloween). I went at 10:15. Eric, on the other hand, went at 6:30 and got back at 8:00 (and he didn't have to deal with little people). And as a bonus, Krispy Kreame will give you a free donut if you voted! BONUS!

Abbie said...

Mine was at the most five minutes. Very efficient and I was so happy to have voted. So if you are not red, does that mean you voted blue. If so, that makes me glad because I sometimes feel lonely being a blue Mormon.

Gramma Seguine said...

I voted at 7:30 am at our little borough township offices. It took about 20 minutes from car to car. We had an overcast day and a line out the door, but there were only 7 things or people to choose among. Every vote DOES count as we learned in school elections in Ohio where ofter decisions for the district were decided by one or two votes!! And there are more than a few blue Mormons out there-- President Faust was one!!
Before statehood, Mormons had to be CALLED to register as Republicans because there were not enough to calm fears of bias among the East Coast states.

Julie said...

Abbie, you are obviously not alone as a blue Mormon.
Thanks, Mom, for the insight into others who bleed blue.

:)

Abbie said...

True. I know I'm not alone but it just feels like it a lot of the time. :) Oh how times have changed since the days when Mormons had to be called to be Republican.

Anonymous said...

Hey there. I am permantly a vote by mail person, but I drop the ballot off at the polling place instead of mailing it in. That way I know it was counted. Mine took all of perhaps 30 sec to walk in and show my ID.

Bill