Thursday, October 25, 2012

3 years into Pennsylvania and the girl still tastes sandstone

(Brief preamble: I probably don't have any readers anymore, but for family and friends, I love and miss you. Life has this shocking propensity to keep spinning by faster than I can catch my breath around. No promises on frequency of blog posts, but I'll just jump in with no guilt for lost time, whenever I can.)

Their English assignment in 7th grade this evening was to write a "meaningful poem," further elaborated on as "something that really means something to you." This in contrast, I suppose, to the "outrageous poem" they were assigned to write last week. The only help she had was in reminding her to put in punctuation to shape the phrases the way she, as an author, wanted them shaped.

Utah

I want to go back to the warm desert air,
where people go on without a care.
Where mountains surround you
and keep the real world out.

No place can compare
with the mountains' height:
millions of places to explore
and each day it seems there are more!

Tumbleweeds flying by
where kites always take to the sky,
the cacti,
the sand,
and lots more.

But then fate strolled down the lane,
all dressed up, tie and cane,
and took it all away.

The mountains crumbled before my eyes
and turned to hills.
The sand grew plush and soft,
turned to grass.
The cacti grew tall, sprouting leaves.

The real world came in without a fight.

No more cacti, no more sand,
no more pointy tall land,
kites get tangled in the trees
and no more flying tumbleweeds.

Will I get it back some day
or is it permanently far away?

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Dude, is she your daughter or what?! And I'm pretty sure she's really an old soul and not 12 anymore :)
love you
(we have more cacti and tumbleweed here than Utah does)

Emily said...

What a wonderful poem. She definite takes after you! I wish I could be as creative...