Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Santa Doubt

It makes sense, really. I mean, Forester is 7.5 yrs old, so of course he is going to start wondering about that big guy with the beard in the red suit, but I didn't expect the breaking point to be so trivial...
Santa Claus came to visit all the kids in our ward at our ward Christmas activity last Saturday afternoon.  He very generously brought a cool treat bag with candy, a jingle bell, some other small themed items, and a Christmas cookie cutter, for each little kid.  As soon as he sat down Aspen was so overcome with love that she planted herself next to his chair, resting her cheek on his arm and gazing up at him adoringly, by turns, the entire time he was visiting with all the other kids.  As she told me later, "Santa is my friend.  I love him."  Her almost 3 yr old mind just welcomed him in.  But Forester seemed to struggle a bit.
Sure, he stood in line, grin on his cute face, sat on his lap, and asked for a Star Wars something-or-other; but then he got his treat bag and the bright Christmas magic began to dim.  He walked up to Nathan (a great friend--he's married to Emily's sister and although we aren't technically related, we've adopted them as Aunt and Uncle) and said, "I have a hard time believing that that is Santa Claus."
Poor Nathan, his first child isn't due for another 2 weeks and he suddenly found himself thrust into one of those key growing-up moments: does he shatter the dream, or frantically shore it up?  He, wisely, opted for ignorance and just asked Forester why he thought that.
Forester pulled out his new cookie cutter.  He brandished it at Nathan and, in a state of
shock and confusion, insisted that this couldn't be the REAL Santa because he had given Forester a cookie cutter.  As he said, "What am I supposed to do with this?"  Nathan: "You could make cookies for Santa."  Forester: "What?!  How?!  I don't know how to make gingerbread men!"
We tried to problem-solve the situation by suggesting that perhaps I could help him make cookies, but he still seems doubtful.  He's been asking if the Santa that came to visit him at Grammy and Grandpa Chapman's hotel the last few years is really Santa or not.  The veil of Christmas magic is getting thin.  It reminds me of the Christmas a few years ago when Ilana, quietly, when the little kids weren't around, asked me, "Is Santa Claus a myth?"

No comments: